Monday, January 12, 2009

Mr.Jacob Mathews...

Watch out Jacob Mathews playing his “Hohner Pucker”…

Mr.Jacob Mathews, started playing the Harmonica at an early age of 8 years, he has learnt if from his brother who played the harmonica. Jacob recalls with a giggle, how his brother didn’t allow him to touch the harmonica during his childhood. One fine day Mr.Jacob successfully, picked it up and start playing. Quite active during his childhood days, Jacob played at school & college functions. Also performs in public and private functions. Recalls his memories of having played the Harmonica in 1964, when the late Prime Minister Mrs.Indira Gandhi visited Bangalore.

Notes of Harmonica flow in my family’s blood says he, his father, brother, son, daughter every body plays the harmonica.

“Yaad kiya dil ne kahan ho tum”, was the first song he recalls having played. Jacob enjoys playing using the tonguing and double tonguing techniques for the fast songs.

Young Jacob, played with the orchestra at Gemini Film Studios at Chennai when he was 12 years old. Has been into interior designing as profession and now wants to lead a retired musical life… also wants to teach youngsters the art of playing Harmonica and popularize the instrument….




5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited to see my uncle playing his harmonica once again. He is one of the finest harmonica players that I have admired and idolised all my life. We used to spent our summer holidays in bangalore. Babu chacha used to entertain us in the evenings, with his astonishing musical talent and humour. I wish he could record his music in a DVD one day. You guys are so blessed to have him in your club. Keep going. We wish you all happy new year with all the fun in the park. Thank you for creating an excellent site.

Sunil from EAST LONDON, SOUTH AFRICA.

Tapan Bhatt said...

Avi and friends,
To play chords and vamping on puck itself shows the talent and mastery of Mr. Jacob over harmonica.
The club concept was actually started by the legend Mr. Phiroz Damri in Mumbai. Many people started after that and failed due to their malafied intentions. Today we have the people who are actually committed to what they are doing. When I met you and friends in Forum i could see the determination, committment and hunger to play and promote the instrument in your eyes.
Really wonderful to see the senior most players. Avi mark my words one day all of us will play on one stage and the day is not very far.
with warm regards.
Tapan

Unknown said...

It is absolutely stupendous what Mr. Jacob does with the harmonica. It truly takes a genius to produce such vibrant tunes and music from such a humble instrument. I am happy to have witnessed him playing live on a few occassions. I'm glad to see that he continues to nurture his God-given talent and is actively passing on his knowledge and expertise to the next generation. Those learning the art from Mr. Jacob will find it to be a truly valuable and rewarding experience. Best wishes to all.

Unknown said...

It was a nostalgic and moving experience to listen to my brother's harmonica magic! I was suddenly taken back to my joyfully music-filled childhood during which we entertained both public and private groups as a pair - he on his harmonica and I on my bulbul as a five-year old. I am thrilled that he is continuing to enjoy his gift and to inspire the younger generation with his passion and talent. It is so wonderful that Bangalore has generated a love of the arts through such informal groups. I wish my boys could have been there to learn from my brother's wizardry. I would love to hear his music on a CD soon! Keep playing and enjoy the music!

Sarasu Zachariah from Houston, USA

amjadkhan786 said...

MR.JACOB WONDERFULLY PLAYED, GOOD TOUNGHING, WAMPING,CORDING EXCELLENT, TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY ON THIS SITE I REALLY MISSED A LOT WOULD HAVE LEARNED MORE FROM ALL OF U MAESTRO PLAYERS...I AM ONE OF THE MEMBER OF THE HARMONICA CLUB OF GUJARAT JUST 16 MONTHS BACK I STARTED PLAYING HARMONICA.....THANKS TO U ALL FOR DOING SUCH A GOOD JOB AND TAKING ALL THE HARDSHIP TO PROMOT THIS TINY INSTRUMENT.........AMJAD KHAN, VADODARA, GUJARAT